How does your pay compare? What you can earn in medical device sales!
Working in medical device sales? You probably want to know if you’re being paid in line with the market average… right?
FMC Meditech have analysed data collected over the past year to bring you average remuneration figures from across the space in our UK Salary Report 2019 – Medical Device Sales, which you can download here.
Average earnings by sector
The average salary received by medical device sales people is £42,000, with bonus earnings usually falling between £9,000 and £20,000.
These figures vary depending on what you’re selling, so here’s a breakdown of average salaries by sector:
- Surgical: £45,000 basic + £17,000 bonus
- Orthopaedics: £45,000 basic + £14,000 bonus
- Diagnostics/Medical Imaging: £43,000 basic + £15,000 bonus
- Ophthalmology: £40,000 basic + £12,000 bonus
- Wound Management: £38,000 basic + £8,000 bonus
You can expect to earn the highest basic in surgical sales. Salaries have been creeping up over the past few years in this space, particularly with the increase of surgical capital equipment available… just look at the boom of surgical robots!
Why do salaries differ?
Last year we wrote about how medical device sales is a bit like car sales. Yes, really.
In the most basic terms, it comes down to capital vs consumables. Capital equipment sales generally afford greater price elasticity and margins, as well as commanding a higher unit price so sales reps are paid accordingly. That’s not to say that you can’t earn good money in consumables… you can!
Download our UK Salary Report 2019 – Medical Device Sales
For insight into:
- Average salaries by territory, role and sector
- Top motivators to move for medical device sales people
- A closer look into Territory, Regional and National Sales Manager benefits packages
- And more!
Download our UK Salary Report 2019 – Medical Device Sales here.